The West Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion is a mix of a job and recognition. The Champion is acknowledged and assumes the position at 12th Night and serves for the following year. The A&S Champion is chosen in a Pentathlon style competition (5 entries – 1 in each category).
The Role and Job of the Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion:
- Ceremony at 12th Night
- Option of swearing/receiving Fealty
- Award of Arms if not already a holder of such
- Medallion &/or cloak of office for the year in such office
- Perform one project to benefit the Kingdom, with the approval of the A&S Minister and the Crown, such as a class, organize guest lectures, organize or perform demonstrations of period techniques, create a prize challenge, or other such. If the project is to be a piece of Regalia, it must be approved by the Regalia Committee.
- Assist the A&S Minister with the planning of any A&S Kingdom level event such as the A&S Tournament and the A&S Championship.
***You do not become the next A&S Minister and are not responsible for running the next competition set if you win the annual A&S Competition.***
Applicable Laws – Article IV Sections 7.5.3, 7.5.4 & 7.5.5
The Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion may choose to swear fealty, receive the protection of the Crown, and be available to advise the Crown upon the Crown's request. The position of Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion carries an Award of Arms if the Champion is not already armigerous.
The Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion may wear the medallion and/or cloak of office, to be passed on to the new champion at Twelfth Night Coronation.
During their tenure the Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion, with the approval of the Minister of Arts and Sciences and the Crown, must begin at least one project for the benefit of the Kingdom, such as teach classes, organize guest lectures, demonstrate period A&S techniques, create an A&S prize challenge, contribute to the kingdom through regalia (in consultation with the Kingdom Regalia Committee) or fundraising prize(s). The Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion shall assist the Minister of Arts and Sciences with the planning of any Kingdom-level arts and sciences events.